One year ago today, I was introduced to the infamous Lola Red PR team at PRSA’s Pro-Am day where students job shadow a PR professional for the day. Not only have many aspects of my life transformed since then—such as, graduating college, moving to Minneapolis and learning to love my one bedroom apartment—but also my perceptions of Lola Red have changed.
Then: Everyday is a party at the Lola Red office
Now: Yes, we do like to enjoy a couple drinks at the end of a long day…sometimes. However, after a typical busy day, nothing is more appealing than sitting on my couch and binge-watching Netflix.
Then: PR is a glamorous profession
Now: Cold calling, answering emails and borderline stalking journalists is not glamorous. However, the glamorous side comes with the events we attend and the placements we secure for our fabulous clients.
Some things never change…
Then: Becca is a fashionista
Now: Becca IS a fashionista but scores her designer trends for next to nothing
Then: Office dogs are adorable
Now: “Office dogs” now have names, Olive and Lily, who are indeed adorable. I am jealous of their afternoon sunbathing but they are always up for a little stress-relieving cuddle session.
I was smitten the first time I walked into the Lola Red offices and fell in love with the company after learning from the team for a day. Despite my somewhat incorrect first impressions, my passion and enthusiasm for Lola Red will never change.
If you were one of the lucky ones who got to see Disney on Ice as a kid, you might remember dramatic light shows, fireworks, and the evil witches and queens scaring the crap out of you.
Not so with Disney on Ice: Let’s Celebrate, the latest version of the classic show. Much to this mom’s relief, the show’s fun party theme was a delight to watch from start to finish, even when the “bad guys” strolled onto the ice for a trick-or-treating party.
- Oliver refusing to open his eyes until seconds after the music started
- Ariel – Oliver’s favorite. Somebody is SO getting an Ariel doll for his birthday.
- The swanky jazz tunes thanks to The Princess and the Frog
- Ursula’s absence – I’ve promised Oliver over and over that the “big lady octopus” can’t get him because she has to stay in big water. I had no plan for how I was going to explain her suddenly appearing on the ice in skates.
- Amazing talent – seriously, this is where former Olympians go to kick back and have fun
Our only complaint:
- It was REALLY loud! Oliver had his ears plugged for the entire second half.
Anytime Disney does anything – go. Just go. It’s Disney’s world and I am more than happy to be living in it.
Michelle on our team is having a baby girl, and we are pretty darn excited for her. We celebrated the much-anticipated arrival of her new addition with presents, donuts, and cupcakes. Because, what’s a party without cupcakes?
At age 22 (and a half) I walk a fine line between college senior and PR professional. Two short months stand between now and the day that I must officially enter the REAL world.
At this point, “ready” is a relative term.
For now, I vow to take deep breaths and small doses of adulthood.
I vow to…
- Keep track of all bobby pins
- Get out of bed when my alarm goes off
- Google things that I don’t understand
- Subtract hours of Netflix for hours of reading
- Re-evaluate how much of my income is spent on caffeinated drinks
- Do the tough stuff first
- Hang up all clothing
- Write more thank-you notes
- Stop taking myself so seriously
- Don’t over-stress about this list…
Growing up is going to be great.
In honor of Love Your Pet Day yesterday, the Lola Red crew has devised a list of just a FEW of the reasons why we love our office mascots, Lily and Olive. Realistically this list could go on and on but to save you some time, we’ve boiled it down to our four favorites. Enjoy!
Lily & Olive
1. Productive: As the official Lola Red office assistants, Lily and Olive sure know how to hunker down and get their tasks done. Although those tasks do include a daily nap followed by some snuggle time, they sure don’t let anything get in the way of accomplishing what’s on their list.
2. Outgoing: As any good publicist would tell you, it’s important to be outgoing and to always greet people with a friendly hello. Lily and Olive are nothing short of professional when greeting guests at the office door. Although their “hello” may come in the form of barking, if you listen carefully they are actually offering you a cup of coffee!
3. Playful: With any job, it’s important to know when to blow off some steam. Just add a good bone or a bouncy ball to the mix and Olive knows how to have a good time. Although Lily prefers to admire from afar, she too knows how to cut loose and sing a few songs when the mood strikes.
4. Cute: The cuteness factor of these pups is pretty overwhelming and tends to melt the hearts of most office guests. What more could you want than 4 or 10 lbs of joy sitting in your lap while you’re strategizing and brainstorming?
I love finding a good shopping deal – sometimes more than the item itself (it’s a problem, I know). Anyhow, I’ve recently scooped up three great bags for less than $10 each!
(I need coffee tote, Forever 21 | I need Mascara Pouch | Metallic clutch H&M similar here but it’s not $10)
As a PR firm, the Lola Red crew receives a variety of communications every day. As a result, we’re pretty proud of our skills in the communications department. At this point we can “read” just about anything including…
- Chelsea’s handwriting – by adjusting your viewpoint you can almost always make it out
- Alexis’ notes – taking time to reflect helps add a little clarity and understanding to the thought process behind them
- Lily’s barks – they pretty much always mean one of the following:
- “Who are you?”
- “You’re too close!”
- “Where’s my mom?!”
- or my favorite “I need a carrot.”
- Keegan’s music – If the club tunes are raging he’s actually knuckling down and getting s#$%# done. It’s best to leave him be until Wilson Phillips comes back on.
So, I’m only slightly ashamed to admit that I’m completely stumped by a recent conversation I had at what I like to call my other full-time gig… Executive Assistant at Oliver Hoffman, Inc. (read: mom of a 2.5 year old).
A recent video chronicling this “communication crisis”:
*Yes, our first-born (AKA: the experiment) sometimes eats on top of the table.
I ask you – WHAT IS A “BATAAD”?
Not only has a troublesome bald eagle flown off with it, it’s getting higher and higher in the sky every day!
- Day one: Jumping to catch it was the suggested solution
- Day two: Jumping REALLY high behind the clouds was still an option
- Day three: Without the help of a rocket ship, there was no way we’re getting Oliver’s “bataad” back
- Day four: The bald eagle has settled into a nice cozy volcano with the bataad.
I pride myself in having an answer or solution for everything. In this case, I’ve got nothing.
Current plan/survival tactic: hope this issue goes away and I don’t get demoted. An urgent Skype call for reinforcements has already been placed. If this crisis progresses too far “Gammy” and “Gampy” will be called in to take over the bataad rescue mission.
Until then, if you see this bird anywhere in the sky (he’s been known to hide behind clouds or in volcanos) please contact: Michelle Hoffman, Executive Assistant at Oliver Hoffman, Inc. immediately and KEEP YOUR EYES ON!!!
Photo Courtesy of Arline Wagner
He may be in the possession of a “bataad”.
As I celebrate Valentine’s Day as a single lady, I have given the day of love a new meaning. For the past few years, I consider Valentine’s Day as a chance to express love to my support system.
For the lucky ladies… chocolates & cupcakes
For now, my true loves are my best friends because when you love someone, you encourage them, comfort them and celebrate their accomplishments as your own. This defines my friendships. After all, my girls are the ones who decipher the cryptic “hey” text messages, listen to pointless stories, and are continuously my +1.
So this year, I am sending my love from miles away with a simple Valentine’s Day surprise. My family and friends were showered with cards, presents, candy hearts and obviously a plethora of chocolate treats. A good ol’ fashioned piece of snail mail is the perfect reminder that I am thankful for their continued support, love and compassion.
Even though the most romantic gesture I will receive today is a potential “match” on Tinder or snuggles from the office dogs, my day is filled with love and I wouldn’t want it any other way.
My Valentine of choice this year? Seed paper. Super cute, super recyclable, and a super fun way to send a little love to those nearest and dearest to you.
Your loved ones can plant the paper, and with a little water and sunshine, it will grow!
Photo courtesy of: Paper Source
Check out your local paper store, co-op, nursery or try making it yourself. Here’s a (kid-friendly!) how-to from NASA.
And have a happy Valentine’s Day!
The Fast Metabolism Diet is like rehab for your body. Over the years I have done most of the fad diets and workouts and thought it was about time to do another. Call me crazy or just call me, maybe?
Master Cleanse - lost 15 pounds in 10 days. Probably not smart.
INSANITY 90-day program - I LIKE SHAUN T!
Paris marathon (seemed like insanity) - fun fact: Parisians do not cheer!
Calorie tracking on My Fitness Pal
Macrobiotic (Gwyneth told me it was cool)
Fit Bit Step System
Cardio only – just do 90 + minutes of cardio every day
Inner Eating (everyone should read this book)
Heart Healthy Diet
Crazy Sexy Diet (horrible name, but brilliant)
3 Day Juice Cleanse
Weight lifting – pretty much the same as cardio only but with weights
February seems like the perfect time to take on a 28-day challenge as the month is perfectly designed with 28 days most years and concludes with my favorite day of the year, my bday. In addition, I need to get prepped to hit up Las Vegas with my bestie on my birthday for a Lil Jon concert at the Wynn. Note: I am not a Lil Jon fan, a Vegas fan or hitting up the topless pool, not my thing. In addition, we are concluding the trip with 3 days at a detox spa to recover from Lil Jon. Amen.
Back to the new diet…..The Fast Metabolism Diet is brilliant in that you eat small meals of fruit, grains, healthy fats, veggies and protein constantly throughout the day. Seems like all I am doing is eating but there are a number of my favorite things not included in the next 28 days.
My advice, skip the book and get the app. Download it for $2.99 and it guides you through meal planning, creates a grocery list and reminds you when to eat. The book is helpful but much of the information is redundant if you have been down the diet road before.
The book notes that you can lose 20 pounds in 28 days. Although that would be awesome, I would be happy with nine. If that does not happen, a spray tan by Glow Mobile and a fresh set of fake eyelashes will make me feel ten pounds thinner, two inches taller and 15 years younger.
Stay tuned. Alexis